This came into my inbox: 2015 October Platform Challenge (link). I almost deleted it. Almost. Then the voice on my left shoulder (we’ll call him Muninn) cawed, “You have been wanting to work on this skill as long as I can remember.” Not to be outdone, the voice on my right shoulder, (let’s just say he’s named Huginn) cackled, “I really think you should do this.”
So sleeves up, I am committed to this month of daily challenges! Here goes…
2015 October Platform Challenge: Day 23 – Think SEO
The instructions for today are: “Think SEO”
So this task is actually multi-pronged:
- Make a list of keywords you want your website or blog to be known for. Urban Fantasy, LGBTQ heroes, Fiction, Mythic Fiction, Myth, Humor, Snark, Writing Life, Writing, Storytelling, Audiobook Narration, Voice-Over Art, Podcast… oh… and I’d kind of like it to be known for me.
- Compare your website or blog’s current content to your keywords. I seem to be podcast and book review heavy… hmmm…. I need to cough up some storytelling.
- Evaluate your current approach to making your content super SEO-friendly.
- Pick a main keyword (or phrase) for each page. I’ll do better.
- Include the keyword in the URL. I almost always do this – either the subject of my post or the author’s name.
- Place an image with the keyword as the title of the image file. Images… argh. Tough it is to find usable images that don’t infringe upon people’s rights.
- Include the keyword in the title of your post. I try.
- Include the keyword early in the actual post–preferably in bold or as a header. Right. Bold. Header. Can-do.
- Research keywords for your next post. Time… time… time…
Muninn considers the list carefully. “Your answers lead to a different conclusion.”
“Don’t tell me,” I reply.
“You need a personal assistant.”
He said it. Out loud. That thing I’ve been crying inwardly about. Nobody has time anymore. Sometimes a post just has to get posted. If I ever reach a point where I can hire an assistant, even part time, that’s the thing I’m doing that week.
Huginn shrugs. “Poor you. Try fighting off a frost giant some time.”